Saturday, April 18, 2009

To MFA or not to MFA?

NYTimes has a great article by Charles McGrath about two new books that weigh the merits of getting your MFA in creative writing. For those of us here at youwillgetpapercuts, the MFA debate looms at the back of our brains. Should writers go to school to learn how to write, and pay a huge tuition bill in the meantime, when, as McGrath points out, "few of even the most ardent teachers of creative writing believe it can really be taught" ??? The world may never know, but the inner debate will surely rage on. May this article be added to the mental blaze as we measure the hypothetical pros and cons.

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to be in a community of writers and because I know I've gone as far as I can with my manuscript on my own. Short fiction and short nonfiction are things I'm quite content to work on in relative isolation...but to finish this novel, I need to be around some new people, new voices, new eyes etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya, christopher. Thanks for your blog post btw. The need for a writing community is one of the main reasons we started this blog. Keep reading and good luck with your manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks. what's your connection with Muhlenberg College, btw? I can see it from my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in Allentown and then went to Ursinus (which is sort of like Muhlenberg's Montgomery County twin). I moved back a few years ago. Did you like it?

    ReplyDelete